ICEA LION MOTOR INSURANCE
What is ICEA LION Motor Insurance?
Motor Insurance cushions you against financial loss in the unfortunate event that your motor vehicle, its accessories or spare parts are stolen or damaged as a result of an accident, fire or riots. Your policy also covers third party liabilities which means that your cover will extend to compensate any other party (other than yourself or the person you have authorised to use your car) should you be the party that caused the incident or injury.
ICEA LION offers both commercial and private motor insurance solutions. There are three categories under private motor insurance: Comprehensive, Third Party Only, Third Party Fire & Theft & Motor Cycle. At ICEA LION, we offer Third Party Only, Third Party Fire & Theft and Motor Cycle insurance under special circumstances. Click here to find out more.
Our motor insurance portal enables you to get a quote, buy and have your digital motor certificate emailed to you immediately, click here and experience convenience in a click!
Why Does One Need Motor Insurance?
- In order to drive your car on any Kenyan public road, it is mandatory for you to have Third Party Only Motor Insurance as a requirement under the Laws of Kenya under the Insurance Act, Cap 405
- It ensures that you have compensation to repair or replace your motor vehicle in case of loss, theft or damage
What is covered by ICEA LION’s Comprehensive Motor Insurance?
When you sign up for our comprehensive motor insurance, under the basic cover, you will be compensated:
- In the event there is loss, theft or damage to the motor vehicle, its accessories and spare parts (that are in the vehicle at the time of the incident)
- In the unfortunate event that the incident results in the death of the occupants of your vehicle (other than yourself) as well as the third parties involved (the other people not in your vehicle)
- If there are medical expenses incurred by the occupants of a motor vehicle as a result of an accident
- If there is damage to property belonging to third parties
- If the vehicle is lost, stolen or damaged whilst in the custody of a mechanic or garage for overhaul, upkeep and/or repair
- In the unfortunate event you cause injury to another party and they require emergency medical assistance, you are at liberty to take them to the hospital and meet their medical expenses up to Kes 30,000/- for any one incident. This amount will be refunded to you by ICEA LION upon presentation of the required documentation (medical report from the doctor as well as the corresponding receipts)
- If the windscreen is damaged up to a free limit ranging from Kes 30,000/- to 50,000/- depending on your type of vehicle. This can be determined at the time of valuation. In the event the cost of replacement is higher, you will need to cover the additional cost
- If your vehicle’s entertainment system is stolen or damaged up to a limit of Kes 30,000/-. In the event the cost of replacement is higher, you will need to cover the additional cost
- If your vehicle needs to be towed, we will cover the cost up to a limit of Kes 50,000/-. In the event the cost of replacement is higher, you will need to cover the additional cost
- Valuation Services: We offer free valuation the first time you take on comprehensive cover with us. For subsequent valuations, upon request of an official letter from us, you will enjoy a discount from our panel of valuers. We are delighted to advise that we offer valuation services on site – meaning that our valuers will come to you. You can even book your valuation online. The importance of a valuation cannot be overstated. It is highly recommended you value your vehicle prior to insuring it so as to avoid disappointment in the unfortunate event that you have to replace your vehicle. Click here to learn more about the valuations and their importance. Click here to book a valuation right now. Our assessors will come to you, wherever you are, in most parts of the country.
Helpful Hint: It is important to note, that your comprehensive motor insurance, does not cover the driver of the vehicle at the time of the incident. You, as the owner of the vehicle, will need to take out a Personal Accident Insurance to compensate the authorised driver of the vehicle should the unfortunate occur.
What Is Excess & Why Is It Applied To All Motor Insurance Covers?
Both parties, that is the insured and the insurer are expected to act in good faith towards each other. In this regard, it is assumed that the insured takes all precautions to minimise exposure to any losses or damage to the insured property. Further, that the insured plays a role in the damage or loss. As such, insurance companies apply an excess to encourage responsible behaviour. Therefore, excess is the amount the insured contributes towards the cost of a claim and it may differ depending on various factors which may include the type of insurance and the age of the driver.
Helpful Hint: No Blame No Excess is an insurance practice that protects the insured against payment of excess in the event that a loss, theft or damage occurs for which they had no responsibility. In such incidents, you can be exempted from excess so long as the police abstract indicates you are not the responsible party.
What is not covered by ICEA LION’s Comprehensive Motor Insurance?
Please be advised that the following are not covered under your insurance policy:
- Consequential Loss which refers to the state of being unable to make money as a result of the vehicle being damaged. This can however be covered under our Motor Commercial insurance cover
- Depreciation, wear and tear, mechanical, electrical or electronic breakdown as well as failures or breakages to the insured motor vehicle
- Damage to tyres unless the damage is as a result of an incident involving other parts of the motor vehicle
- Loss of or damage to the contents being carried in or on the motor vehicle
- Damage caused by overloading or strain on the motor vehicle
We understand that there is a lot that is misunderstood about motor insurance. We are keen to enlighten you on the same. Click on the links below to learn about:
- What to do in the event of an accident
- Why valuations are important?
- What documents are required to apply for motor insurance?
- Understanding the fine print and technical terms in your motor insurance policy
Now that you understand the basics of our Motor Insurance policy and would like to insure with us, click here to get a quote, buy online and have your digital motor certificate emailed to you immediately. If you would like to talk to us in person, you can call us on +254 719 071 999 or request a call back by clicking here.